Charlie - Western Springs, Illinois

I played basketball in 8th grade at Highlands Middle School. We weren’t the best team around by any stretch of the imagination, but we worked hard. It was something every single person on that team put their heart and soul into. We had made it to the second round of the playoffs where we played against Westchester, a team we had lost to twice during the season. It was a very close game, but we lost by a couple points in the end. As we went into the locker room we all realized it was the end of our season. I looked around the locker room, and it really puzzled me as to why many of my teammates were crying. Why had this loss hurt so much? At that point I understood that it was the competitive spirit in all of us. It was that competitive spirit that driven us to work so hard in practice all year, and it was that competitive spirit that made it hurt so much when we failed to reach our goal.

I believe in the competitive spirit. It is that very thing that drives so many things in the world. The desire to be the best, and the willingness to sacrifice what is necessary to achieve that success. This can be found from a little league baseball team all the way up to corporate america. Competition is what makes this country great. People coming up with new ideas and better ways to do things all come out of that spirit. There may be a downside of egos and greed, but in my mind the positives far out weigh the negatives. There is no question that to get where you want to be in life there has to be that desire. Without it, there is no motivation to be the best you can be.