Dane - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe in dogs. I have suffered many disappointments throughout my life. I have cost my team the big game, bombed tests and presentations, and have done things to harm others. I may never know what my parents’ reactions will be when they find out about these things; however low I get on their lists, I always know where I stand with my dog. Words cannot describe the amazing ability a wagging tail and a panting tongue coupled with the jingling of the tags on a collar have to change a mood from to lowest of lows to complete contentment.

Just this past semester, I was v e r y busy with my soccer season, and I had forgotten to study for a big chemistry test. I was frantically studying during the school day to hopefully salvage a decent grade on the test. When the test came up, I got the paper, looked at the first question and immediately my stomach dropped to depths of my body that I had not known even existed. After that, all I could think about was that test for the rest of the day; I was in a constant state of worrying. It carried over into my play during soccer practice. There, my coach informed me I would not be starting my next game. I was near breaking point by the time practice ended and, I went home for the day. I o p e n e d the door and just sulked into the house when suddenly I was met in the foyer with a huge bound and a lick planted right across my face. All the energy that had been devoted to feeling angry or sad could not stop a smile from crossing my face at that very moment. A few seconds later, a ball is sitting at my feet with a dog along side it. The look on her face of pure excitement and joy of just having a simple ball to run after reminded me that everybody often focuses on non essential and selfish things in life. However, the most important part of everything is just being with those you love. I am not sure whether or not my dog cared about me or the tennis ball she was now dashing after, but I do know that I enjoy the escape from my world as I attempt to dive into hers to better understand a simple concept like a game of fetch.

The truly great part of a dog is the no matter how horrible things seem and how unwanted you would feel in the world, your dog will always love you, want you, and need you in their life. This sense of purpose is just what I sometimes need to get through my life. If I did not have my dog, every problem in my life would magnify and compound on itself with no outlet. There is no telling what would happen without the feeling a dog brings to my life.