Brittany - Countryside, Illinois

I Believe

I believe that by changing yourself for the people around you, you are slowly killing yourself.

I had a friend who I met in second grade and it seemed that we were pretty much inseparable. Once we got into high school though, things started to change. While my friend was going around meeting a lot of new people, I wasn’t because I didn’t want to grow away from her. After a while I realized that this was a really stupid thing for me to be doing, so I started to show people my real side instead of the “I’m really not interested in being your friend, leave me alone” side. Once I started to meet some new people I had more and more stories to tell to my friend. But the reaction that I got from her was not the reaction that I wanted. Instead of being happy for me it seemed like she was getting mad. Then I asked her one day why she was getting angry and she told me that I was ignoring her completely and flirting with everyone. I didn’t want her to be mad at me so I stopped talking to everyone and purposely leaving my schedule open so if she wanted to hang out I would be available.

This situation kept repeating over again into the next year. She would always tell me that I flirt with every guy I always see and leave her to go hang out with them. I just have a very outgoing personality., but by her telling that we are which was slowly slipping away.

One day I met 3 new people, Adam, Francisco, and Katie. They all started to get to know me better and then asked me to come to their youth group. At the youth group I was never told to stop acting a certain way or stop talking to people. I ended up making a ton of new friends and this did not go over to well with my other friend. She got mad a few times at me and blamed me for ditching her for my new friends. My friend just didn’t understand. I finally thought to myself that if she can’t accept the fact that I’m going to make new friends and hang out with them too, then she isn’t really a friend to me. There was no way I was going to let her make me feel bad so I would stop hanging out with my new friends, and be by her side whenever she wanted me to. Today I am so happy to have met my new friends, but as for my old friend, I’m still waiting for her to understand.