Joseph - Western Springs, Illinois

Perseverance and Direction Ever since I was a young child, I have been fascinated with sports.

Whether it was lacrosse, hockey, boxing, football or any of the other sports I did; I learned one very important lesson. I learned that in order to have success in anything one CANNOT give up, and he or she has to go ALL- OUT to reach a goal. I believe that sports teach one how to persevere and strive towards goals in life.

I started my sports career when I was about six years old when I began to play hockey. I remember one day when I had hockey practice, and I did not want to go. I asked my dad if I could skip, the answer was an immediate NO. He told me that if I wanted to get good at hockey, I had to practice, and that is true for everything in life. In order to have success, one has to WORK and WORK, because n o t h i n g comes easy.

In addition, I began playing football when I was about ten years old. I loved the sport from the moment I set foot on the field, but I learned

that it was very hard. I would come home with scrapes and bruises, and even a b r o k e n a r m; but I still loved the game. I loved the game because it brought happiness to me, and it taught me how to ease through pain, or persevere. However, I learned that one will encounter many people he or she does not like in life, or coaches. Through all of their YELLING and WHISTLE BLOWING, I became a more disciplined person. I now know that I am not the only person on a team, just a small part of it, and it takes the W H O L E team to win or have success.

Furthermore, I started boxing at the age of thirteen, and I continued to do so for about two years. I had chosen another tough sport to do, and once again I was putting my heart at test. This sport taught me even more discipline than anything else, and my coaches helped me to stay focused. My coaches convinced me that staying clean is the way to be, and that drugs are only a DISTRACTION from one’s goals. I did not quit because it was too hard or rough on my body, but my mom MADE ME.

Therefore, each and every sport I have participated in has given me a lesson in life. I have gained a GOOD attitude, PERSEVERENCE, DISCIPLINE, and focused goals that I will try to reach in life. No matter what sport it is, they all can give a positive message, and teach one how to better live his or her life.