Nolan - Indian Head Park, Illinois

I believe that music is a way of surviving all different obstacles that are thrown at you in life. It lets you escape to a world where you have no issues and worries.

When I was starting freshmen year I was filled with feelings I could not explain. In my head I was not nervous but my body still felt nervous. I never cared what others thought of me but suddenly now I was so self-conscious. Everything just felt completely different and new. I mean for the past nine years of my life I had gone to school with the same one hundred kids and now I’m going to a school with almost ten times that. Now I was becoming just lost teenage without a clue of what’s going on. While I was waiting for my bus, I started listening to my iPod it put me in a better state of mind and it got me relaxed. It got me ready for anything that was going to happen to me. At every stop I would see kids get on the bus and I noticed that most of them had headphones in there ears too. I thought to myself about how music is helping them as well as me. I kept the tune I had listened to that morning in my head for the rest of the day and it helped me survive my first day.

I feel that different music connects with different people and that there is a piece of music for every state of mind. There are so many different kinds of music so there is a world for everyone to escape to. You can even create music for the way you feel. It doesn’t matter if you listen to rap, rock, country, techno, or classical everyone has a common way of survival and its music.

Music has been around forever. Everyone has related to music at least once. It has been helping us survive for as long as we can remember. From when your pregnant mother played music for you to listen to before you were even born all the way up to watching MTV as a teenager. Music has always been there. Music is just a passionate way of expression and expression is a form of communication and communication helps us survive. It doesn’t matter if you play it, compose it, or listen to it music helps us survive. To this day I still listen to music while I’m on the bus and I still get the same feeling from it. Music will always be important to our lives.