Gina - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe in the power of a team. I believe in the ability of a group of people to come together for the same purpose- to have fun and win games. I’ve been on countless sports teams because I’ve been playing sports since I was little. From t-ball, to AYSO soccer to high school softball, there have been two teams that have especially stood out. At school this year I played on the sophomore basketball team and had an awesome experience. I’ve never played with a basketball team that played as well together as we did. Five freshmen were brought up to our team in the beginning of the season. At first a lot of sophomores were hesitant and shy around them, but it didn’t take long for the girls to blend right in. I believe that a team that doesn’t like each other will never be successful. You can have a team with five star players, but if they don’t want to play with each other then they’ll all be playing for themselves and not for the benefit of the group. That kind of attitude is not good for a team. Luckily, that wasn’t an issue for us because we all liked each other. During my freshman year, our team never had pasta parties after practice. This year however, pasta parties were a usual thing. Our record for the season was something like 15-7, which is pretty good. It was definitely better than the teams’ record last year and I think that has a lot to do with the difference of how we acted as a team.

Another team that I play for is a traveling softball team called the Blazers. I’ve played with them for a total of five years and it has been an experience of a lifetime. This team has made me believe even more that if you do not get along with your teammates, you will not be successful. Now successful can mean different things for different teams depending on the situation. For us, successful means trying our best to win while still having fun. We almost always have a good time whether we win or lose. Last year we placed in most of the tournaments we entered which was pretty cool. Throughout the five years playing with the Blazers I’ve made many friends. One of the reasons I enjoy the team so much is because of my teammates. It’s crazy to see a group of girls that all go to different schools and are all different ages play so well together. If I didn’t play softball for the Blazers I definitely wouldn’t have met some of the people I am best friends with today.

The definition of a team is a group of individuals that work together to achieve a common goal. I believe in the strength of a team and its teammates. A team needs to be able to come together as one to be successful in all aspects- the game, and the relationships involved.