A.M. - York, Pennsylvania

I admire the miraculous Helen Keller who was noted for saying, “Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them master you.”

I was just nine and my sister was only twelve when our mother passed away. We came to live in York shortly thereafter, and it wasn’t until years later that I realized we moved into a dysfunctional home.

My self-esteem issues would cause me to make some impulsive decisions to prove that I am worthy. I moved to NYC in 1996, went to college with no money, and managed to graduate in 2001 with an average gpa. Four months later I’d see some seemingly strong people appear helpless on September 11th. A year later I would become pregnant and return home to York feeling defeated. I’d further feel ashamed having to apply for Welfare, later obtaining a job and then being fired and go back to Welfare.

I felt like I had to make things happen. Being a mother, a single mother no less, you’re not afforded the opportunity to harp on your deficiencies.

I realize that I have been dealt some pretty bad hands in life, but all in all, I’m thankful to GOD for allowing me to be a survivor of those “rough” experiences. All of this, I believe made me stronger in the face of adversity.