Natalie - La Grange, Illinois

The old, worn piano sat in our front hall begging to be played. It sat there for countless years after my mom gave up on it, but six years into my life some light bulb turned on that told me to try. I honestly could not say what gave me the sudden urge to tickle the ivory, maybe it was just my background in music. My mom was one of those mothers who played Mozart for me while she was pregnant, and took her horrible screaming baby to her flute concerts. Whatever it was, and no matter how cliché it sounds, the day I began playing music really did change my life. It was the change from loving music, to be able to make it, and turning it into whatever I want. It is my passion.

I believe that every person has a passion. I believe that my job in life is to find my passion, and let it make me happy until I am old and grey. I believe in trying new things to find my passion. A simple and truthful motto to live by is “Be Happy”. Mottos can go above and beyond and get extremely psychological but why? Everything boils down to that. People want to be happy. I want to feel like I have something in my life that I am just so passionate about that I can’t go a day without it. Some people play music, or basketball, or dance, or run, or focus on their studies. Isn’t that half of what high school is? Aren’t we offered thousands of clubs and activities to find out what makes us happy before college, so we can continue to pursue it?

Since then, I have expanded on piano and have tried many instruments, but only stuck with my three favorites. Whenever I’ve had a hard day, I know that I can go home and be okay if it just means playing music first. I know that I was lucky to find something I’m so in love with doing when I was just six years old, but I also know I would wait a lifetime if I would still end up with a gift that makes me this happy. I spend so much of my time shoving new math facts into my short term memory before the quiz, or remembering birthdays, or any of the other ridiculous things I worry about. When I get to think on my own, my brain doesn’t know what to do because it’s not pressed for time. I slow down, and I look at my life in the simplest way possible. I know that music makes me happy. I believe that everyone deserves a chance to find what they are passionate about, and I believe that whatever they find, they should let it make them happy for as long as they can.