Brent - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: sports

I believe that this is the year. I believe that the Chicago Cubs will win the World Series. Some people believe that superstitions have kept the Chicago Cubs from winning the World Series. In 1945, the Cubs made it to the World Series, and lost. People blamed the new founded curse of the billy goat, for their loss. Then came 1969. The Cubs were defeated by the New York Mets, falling short of another Worlds Series appearance. Fans believed that it was the fault of a black cat that crossed the field during play. Fast forward to 1984, the Cubs lost to the San Diego Padres in the National League Championship series, to yet again, not make it to another World Series. All of Cubdom continued their belief that the billy goat had something to do with the Cubs loss. In 1989, the Cubs blew an additional World Series opportunity, losing to the San Francisco Giants, in an all but clinched Championship Series. With this tragic loss, the mantra “wait until next year,” came about, and has become an unfortunate common saying over the years. In 1998, the Cubs, led by a Cork Head known as Sammy Sosa, won the wild card to make it to the playoffs, but lost to the San Francisco Giants to “wait till next year.” Back in 2003, “this was the year baby,” the Cubs were 6 outs away from making it to the World Series, but lost a heart breaker of a game to the Florida Marlins, to once more, not make it to the World Series. Some say that the interference of a fan and the old billy goat curse caused this most recent loss. Being a die hard Cubs fan, I believe in superstitions. My most favorite superstition; something good has to happen to you at least once every 100 years. As the Cubs near a century without that elusive World Series win, I believe that my favorite superstition can cancel all curses and bad luck, guiding the Cubs to a World Series win.

I believe that this is the year. I believe that the Chicago Cubs will make it to, and win the World Series. I believe that the Chicago Cubs can do something right once every 100 years. I believe that all of Cubdom can breathe a collective sigh of relief. I believe that it is not possible for something to not go right for 100 years straight. I believe that the Chicago Cubs will win the World Series for Ernie, Ronnie, and Harry. I believe that that all Billy Goats should be allowed into Wrigley. I believe in the men in blue. I believe in “hey hey holy mackeral.” I believe in honoring a dying Cub fans last request. I believe in brown ivy. I believe that the Chicago Cubs will win the World Series. I believe that this is the year.