I believe in music and how it can positively have an influence on a person’s life.

Steve - USA

I personally have been influenced by music greatly throughout my life because I have always been in its presence and enjoyed it very much. My entire family has always been a musically gifted one. At one time in their life, all of the members of my family had played a musical instrument of some sort or still does. Since I was younger I have always been exposed to music of some sort. From about age five on, I have listened to my older sister play piano as well as play it myself at that age. Listening to her music and playing my own kept me open to listening to many different genres of music today.

After I decided piano was not for me I had no idea where to go. In the fourth grade I took the opportunity to perform in the school band. At first I did not know which instrument I wanted to play but after trying some instruments out, I picked the trumpet and never regretted it. I also was unsure how I felt about the stereotype that I got from being in the band when I got into middle school. I stuck with it all through elementary and middle school, partially because my parents made me and partially because it was helping my music knowledge grow greatly. Today when I think about it I am glad that I stuck with band for so long because a lot of the stuff that I learned there applies to the music that I play today.

Today, I concentrate on my guitar. I am completely self taught and I never had any lessons. I am not exactly a pro at it but it is something I work at many times a week and enjoy very much. Sometimes it can be challenging, but it is something that I love to do and work at. I enjoy playing with friends and with my church band and I am glad I have the opportunity to play and expre4ss myself in that way.

I think of music as a very big part of my life because I am always either listening to music or playing music of my own. I think of it as my escape from life. When any rough times in my life come I can be sure of one thing, my I-pod will always be there for me. Music has been there for me in the good times of my life and in the bad and I can always depend on the euphoric sounds of my stereo to make me feel better. I believe that being able to play music and have it in my life is truly a gift to be cherished forever.