James - LaGrange Highlands, Illinois

I believe that you will never know what you can do unless you put your mind to it and stick with it.

I started playing the trombone in fourth grade and I thought it would be the coolest thing to do. And for a while it did seem fun playing the trombone though I wasn’t that good at it. Soon after though, it got really boring and I almost couldn’t stand playing it any more, but my mom pushed me to do it. Mostly because she didn’t want me to quit and the fact that she paid for the instrument. It was a real pain playing in band for middle school because I sort of felt like a “band geek” whenever I had to play in front of my class for band concerts.

Why I didn’t quit was because that I realized how much better I got at playing the trombone and how much all that time I spent on it would all go to waste and it wouldn’t be worth it. Soon after, I tried out for jazz band and made and I realized all the effort I put into playing the trombone was paying off. It bugged me sometimes that I usually did not get first part and I thought sometimes that I wasn’t all that good. Looking back now I am glad that I never quit because it’s a talent I’ve put so much effort and has become a part of me that I am proud of. I hope playing the trombone is something that I continue and just keep getting better at playing it.