Ruth - Western Springs, Illinois

This I Believe…

I believe you never realize what you have until it is gone. Though I have been told this my whole life, it had not proven true until the past few years. Relationships disappear before realizing what had gone wrong. Experiences at camps, on vacations, or even moments you have with friends and family fly by without the recognition they deserve. It always seems that these underappreciated moments become some of the most missed.

My brother, Sam, began getting involved in a youth group called Plymouth Fellowship during his freshman year of high school. By the time I was a freshman, Sam persuaded our parents to make me join. I went to a few meetings, but it didn’t really appeal to me. Each year, Plymouth Fellowship takes all its members on a trip, called Work Tour, to a different state to do volunteer work. My first trip was to Deland, Florida. We were going there to work at a home for people living with mental disabilities. Also, we needed to work in surrounding towns by planting trees and destroying and rebuilding houses. The first couple days flew by, but then I felt that I would rather be at home with my friends. Helping the residents was fun and very rewarding, but it just did not seem to compare to the fun my friends must have been having. On the eighth day, we went in our vans and bus to drive the long way home. Almost instantly, I realized that I did not want to leave everything we did on the trip. Staying up all night, interacting with residents of the home, destroying houses and rebuilding them, and to think I had spent time worrying about what my friends had been doing.

This year, I am counting down the days until we all pack up and travel for Work Tour to Atlanta. Now that I know to appreciate trips, I can spend more time realizing how great of an experience I am having, rather than what I could be doing. Everyday, try to recognize the simple things you have or a great experience, like Work Tour, comes along.