Ashley - La Grange, Illinois
Themes: equality

Equality has always been a challenging subject to all of mankind. Throughout history people have been fighting for their equality. African Americans fought for their freedom from slavery. Then African Americans and women fought for their right to vote. All of this was based off of wanting to be treated equally. So many people desire to be treated equally and not prejudged. I believe every person should be treated equally. I believe in equality among mankind.

As a child and as a young adult I have experienced unequal treatment and have witnessed people being treated unequally. People have been prejudged based on aspects out of their control. When I was about six years old, the neighbor boy from across the street said that he was better than me because I supposedly could not run as fast as him just because I was a girl. When he said this, I could not believe that he had doubted me based solely on the fact that I was a girl. I had been brought up in a family that always told me and encouraged me to treat everyone equally, so I challenged him to a race. I came out with a victory and had proved him wrong. After that moment, I decided that I would make sure to never doubt anyone based solely off of their gender, race, age, or anything that was out of their control. This boy had made an unjust and unequal judgment of me and I did not want to make anyone feel the way I did when he made that assumption.

To me, equality is a very important thing. We must give every person a chance and not prejudge them. I believe there should be equality among gender, race, and age. My situation was so small compared to what has happened and is happening all around the world to all different types of people. For instance, women in various countries are denied right simply because of there gender. The fight for equality is not over. Everyone should be treated fairly and given the same opportunities. Our world would be a better place if we could all treat everyone equally and open our eyes to see things that have been hidden by unequal treatment.