Natalie - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe that no child should be an only child. Having companions or someone to relate to under the same roof helps you become more of an open person, allows you to have a better childhood, and makes life not so dull. I have one brother named Nathan who is twenty-one as well as a twin sister named Carrie who is sixteen. Our whole lives, we have always had each other there to make the little moments seem more amusing, or to make the tough times less traumatic.

This past summer, my family and I went to visit my real grandfather of whom I have never met, in Tennessee. The whole eight or nine hours it took to drive there as well as the eight or nine hours it took to return home, I had my siblings to help make it seem more fun and to help pass the time. Once we arrived, we were staying in my grandfather’s house; which is in a community of which is mostly occupied by older people. There was not one kid near my age anywhere in sight. Other then finally meeting my real grandfather, the only thing that I felt grateful for was that my siblings were with me. If I were an only child, I do not know how I would have survived that week we spent in Tennessee. Kids can only entertain themselves and listen to adult conversations for so long.

While visiting my grandfather, we did not just stay within his community. We traveled outside to go to restaurants, go shopping, as well as going horseback riding out in the mountains of Tennessee. It was such a great experience that I was able to share with my family. However, looking back, I started to wonder how I would have coped if I was the only kid there? Would I have had the same feelings about our vacation? The answer is no. I would have felt extremely lost and out of place during adult conversations, the down time we had each night, and the long car ride we had there and back. Even just sitting down at the dinner table listening to my parents talk back and forth with my grandfather would have felt awkward.

Although kids can always enjoy the presence of their parents or friends, once those people are gone they are all alone. Nobody likes to feel as if they have no one beside them. I believe that siblings give you that reassurance that you, whether you like it or not, will never experience that feeling of loneliness. The importance of the positive effects my siblings have had on my life is too great to measure. So many memories of fun times we have spent together during our lives float in my mind. Ironically, there is not one memory with them where I have felt lonely.