Sean - Burr Ridge, Illinois

I believe in “me time.” I believe in its power to relieve my life of most, if not all, of its stress, its problems, and its worries. Completely separating myself from the world for a half hour or so everyday may sound dark, gloomy, or lonely. However, I believe without my “me time,” only then would my life be those things.

Being a teenager is tough, and I’m sure many can agree with me on that subject. Whether it’s annoying parents, time-consuming school, or friend-related problems, things in life can really affect a person’s body and mind. Throughout the years of my life, I’ve found that the best way to deal with these things is just to take time, long or short, away from everything. Everyday, I separate myself from the world in one way or another. I’ve found that the best way I can do this is by just laying in my bed, sometimes listening to music, and other times just sitting there, with no noise, no company, just myself. There, I think about my day and whatever may be bugging me. While there are definitely days that go by without anything putting me down or making me annoyed, it is still nice to have time to relax and reflect on how fortunate I am. I let my mind wander in endless directions, happy or sad, depending on my innermost mood that day.

My tradition started freshman year. To be completely honest, the beginning of freshman year scared me half to death. With its huge homework load, the long days, and one too many upsetting friend situations, I didn’t know what to do with myself. Most nights, I could barely sleep. My mind would race, my thousands of mixed emotions wanting to explode out of my head. I would sometimes cry, rarely knowing why. I would sometimes smile or laugh, usually being unable to explain these emotions either. My time at night usually helped me with my stressing situations, however its effects were short-lived. I would wake up the next day and go through pretty much the same positions. I realized that these days were inevitable, and that there needed to be some other way to deal with them. This led me to create my “me time.”

Since last year, my time alone after school has not changed much. While my problems and thoughts may have, it is still just me, no one else, accompanied by music some days, others by nothing. Over the thousands of hours to myself, I have realized that I can solve my own problems. While I admit talking for hours and hours with a great friend can help some pain or sadness disappear, nothing is as therapeutic as my own thoughts. Believing in “me time” has helped me believe in me.