Maggie - LaGrange Park, Illinois

I believe in the power of music. Music can completely change my mood or enhance what I’m already feeling. Music can take a person back in time and remind them of the best and worst times of their life. If there is one language that all of the world speaks; it’s music.

One Friday night, I was sitting at my best friend, Mary’s house. We usually hang out there on the weekends and always enjoy ourselves. This night, however, Mary was in a bad mood and it was clearly reflecting on our other 4 friends and me. It seemed like nothing good was going to happen that night and we would be bored. Then a great feel-good song came on the ipod that was playing, it was Build me up Buttercup. The song instantly got me up and moving. It reminded me of dancing in my living room to oldies songs when I was younger, which triggered a good mood in my brain. When I noticed Mary sitting in the bathroom with her head in her hands looking gloomy, I started singing the words of the song into my fist and holding it up to her to sing the echo line. After mumbling a few lines, she couldn’t help but crack a smile and blast the music to sing and dance with me as everyone else joined in. From that point, there were no more frowns, especially not from Mary. One song completely changed the atmosphere of the night and we ended up making a memory that I won’t forget.

I believe in the power of music and its effect on the brain. It makes people forget their troubles and have a good time. Music has the power to make emotional connections to people and their lives. I believe that music brings people together and forms friendships. I believe that music is therapeutic, and maybe the only thing that can bring me up after a bad day, or remind me of a past time in my life, whether it was good or bad, life changing or simple.