Kevin - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: change

The World Can Change

This world is not a perfect one; it is overrun with war, hunger, greed, anger, hatred, and corruption. But I believe that we can overcome all of these vices. Despite these setbacks, I believe that the world can change.

One day I really look back on is September 11, 2001. I was in my fifth grade classroom, and that morning, my teacher, Mr. Cordes, made a terrible announcement. He told us that terrorists had just crashed a plane into the World Trade Center in New York. I was stunned, unable to believe that anybody could do something so heartless. Hundreds of people perished because of that spiteful and ruthless deed. I remember that for several weeks afterward, I saw countless people in tears because of the terrorist attacks. These events alone caused so much pain, so much suffering, and so much sorrow. But although there was sadness, there was also hope: a hope that we could improve the world so that nobody will ever have to suffer such a loss ever again. I too, believe that the world can change into a better, more peaceful place.

Nine-eleven showed me what the world really was; I had never lived through such a tragic and traumatic catastrophe. It showed me just how much the world needed to recover and straighten out. Though I was lucky enough to say that I did not suffer any losses during the attacks, I still saw the sadness in the mourners’ faces, the sorrow in their eyes, the pain in their souls. After I realized how awful the world could be, I knew we had to stay strong. So I prayed, and I still pray, that the world will change, for the sake of everyone in it.

We have come a long way since 9/11. But, as I look at today, I see that there is still war, there is still pain, there is still suffering, and there are still such anguishing losses. Even so, there is still hope; this hope expresses the wish and desire that the world will improve. I believe that the world can and will change, no matter what we all must face to do it.