Patrick - LaGrange, Illinois

Keepin’ it Real

A wise man named Popeye once said “I yam what I yam and that’s all that I yam”. I believe that one of the most important things that a person can do is simply to be themselves. Too many people in this world put on a false front to impress others. They

e scared to face the fact that they are not the perfect person that they think society wants them to be, and that everyone has silly little quirks that they are scared to show. The whole world is filled with unique people that are scared to express them

lves. They are content with just following the rest of the crowd.

Once someone starts trying to impress someone else they loose that uniqueness that separates them from any other guy. No one wants to be around any one who is completely fake and just goes with what every one else is doing. People like spontaneous, fre

spirited people. People who are not afraid to veer off the beaten path and take their own route, do things their own way.

I think that people start to loose that originality as they grow older, unless they make a point to express themselves with others. That is why people who have had the same friends their whole lives tend to be closer to each other than people who have

own their friends for only a few years. I will use myself as an example, I have known the same five or six guys, literally, my whole life. And we still remain the best of friends, because we can be ourselves around each other. We don’t feel the need to

etend to be a person that we aren’t.

When you’re little, you are not trying to impress anyone, you couldn’t care less what any one else thinks of you. Who cares if you soil yourself on a regular basis and drool a little? Now I’m not saying we should all walk around like that all the time,

ut somewhere along the line we lost the ability to be ourselves.

We look different, we sound different, and we most certainly think differently. We just need to embrace the fact that we are all different. But how would anyone know that if we all act the same. Everyone needs to just start keepin’ it real. This I believe.