Caitilin - LaGrange, Illinois

A normal life is usually riddled with bad things. Many people believe that there are enough good things that happen, that they seem to equal out the bad. I believe this, in a sense, but what I truly believe is that if you look hard enough you will find that something good comes out of everything.

When I was in sixth grade, my family was growing apart. My brother was trying to get used to junior high, I was dying to move out of elementary school into something better, and my parents had given up on their attempt to have weekly game and movie nights. My family not being as close as it had been didn’t faze me at the time, that is until my dad missed work for a horrible headache.

There’s one thing everyone needs to understand about my dad, he never misses a day of work. During the September 11th scare, the police had to go and literally kick him and his buddies out of the office. This symbolizes a truly dedicated man. So my dad missing a day of work for a headache was a truly traumatic moment. A day turned in to two days and my mom decided he should probably go to the doctor. Despite his hate of doctors and their bills, he agreed and pulled himself to the doctor. I was left alone with my brother to fend for ourselves. I made dinner and went to bed. The next morning, when I woke up, I found my mom sitting on the couch, but my dad was no where to be found. I asked what had happened. She told my brother and I that my dad had had a stroke and they weren’t sure if he was going to make it. With this mindset I went to school and tried to work through the day. After school I begged my mom to take me to the hospital. They told us he was doing a lot better.

A week went by and my dad returned home. The day my dad returned from the hospital my mom seemed very upset about something. I didn’t ask her what was up, because I’d learned from previous experiences, when my mom is upset you try your best to stay away from her at all costs. The next day my dad sat my brother and me down and told us my mom had breast cancer and it didn’t look good. I was rather immature at the time and the only thing going through my mind was who was going to make dinner for us every night and get us to school in the morning.

Well, weeks passed and my mom’s battle with cancer went on, but we seemed to be getting along better then I had hoped. My dad and I had taken up the jobs of dinner and laundry and my brother was always there just kind of to pull us through each day. I don’t really remember much after that. It felt like for ever and I must tell you two years is quite a long time. The day when we found out that the cancer was gone we actually went out and celebrated at a fancy restaurant. My mom still has side effects of the chemo but she’s back to her normal self.

Though when the story is told, people cringe at the thought of almost losing both parents in a matter of two weeks, our family really pulled together. My brother and I now play games on X-Box 360? together and almost every weekend our family plays cards. We really have learned to enjoy and appreciate each other. Despite the horrible situation we were put in, something good came out of it. Therefore, I believe that if you look hard you will find that something good comes out of everything.