Ben - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: forgiveness

Everybody makes mistakes, but only those who take blame for their wrong actions are relieved of any fault or accusation by the act of forgiveness. I believe in forgiveness, and not only in forgiving people for their wrong actions, but in asking for forgiveness when you are the one at fault. Every one has forgiven somebody for something they might have said or done that was offensive or hurtful to another. Without people forgiving each other, the world would be filled with long-lasting grudges for simply small and immature things. Most of the people in this world have also asked for forgiveness, when they accidentally or intentionally did something that they later regretted. No matter how many times human beings make mistakes, they will also continue to forgive each other, showing that we all do care, and are somewhat sensitive to each other in all of our own and different ways.

I experienced a time that required forgiveness when I was younger, about 8 years old. I had some small disagreement with my twin sister, Tori, and after a long argument we stopped speaking to each other for the rest of the day. Now, at the time, she had been my best friend, and the person I would play and do things with. After going to sleep, without saying a word to each other, and waking up the next morning, we both realized that we had to both apologize and forgive each other for whatever disagreement had occurred. I went up to her and apologized, and she immediately forgave me, and she apologized right after. I then forgave her, and thought to myself how easy that was, and how forgiving each other, made the situation much better. People can’t take back what they say or ask you to forget it. They can, however, ask for you to forgive them.

Without forgiveness, people would have no way to fix a mistake they might have made. Forgiveness allows people to fix and somewhat “repair” something they might have done or said that hurt someone else. Without this wonderful gift of forgiveness, people would have to be extremely careful and cautious never to offend anybody else, because it would result in a problem. People would not be able to joke with friends either, because as many people know, jokes can “rub people the wrong way”.

Forgiveness is a gift. Something we tend to take for granted because we pretty assume that the person we offend will forgive us for our wrong actions. We have to look at forgiveness as something that we just couldn’t live without, because when you truly realize its importance, you will see that it is a pillar of the world we know today, keeping it a more social, and pleasant place to be. Something like forgiveness may not be able to stop a massive problem in the world today, but it makes living much more peaceful for both you and me.