Elizabeth - Greenville, North Carolina

This I believe…that relationships are the most precious part of life on this earth.

I am ordering coffee this Sunday morning and suddenly tears of grief and loss appear unbidden, springing from some repressed hole in my soul to manifest themselves at a disembodied drive-thru speaker.

My friend is gone; her brain devastated by the combined interlopers of cancer, chemotherapy, and radiation. Her lungs drowned in pneumonia-ladened fluid against which her body could not defend itself.

But, her irrepressible spirit lives on in each of us who knew her and with the One who created all of us; that Annie Oakley-to hell with Brownies-speak your mind spirit that left us breathless with soul-healing laughter; that giving spirit that touched the hurting hearts of old and young and gave us the knowledge that someone cared; that giving spirit that shared love and loss; that giving spirit that allowed us to see the Creator within her and within ourselves.

Once she asked me, probably rhetorically, “Why don’t we get together more often?” My response shocked both of us, personal as it was, “It doesn’t occur to me that someone would want to spend time with me.” So, we got together for coffee.

Maybe that’s why the unshed tears finally sprang forth at the disembodied, drive-thru speaker. Coffee, souls, and lives shared…but so much time wasted with trivialities of daily living. “Why don’t we get together more often?”