Erin - LaGrange, Illinois

“This I Believe”

Growing up most children always dream to have some kind of pet, in a lot of cases it is a dog. It is that ideal scene, just like in all the movies with the kid whose best friend is his pet dog. This is why I believe that dogs are the best childhood pets. When I was a little kid I had many different animals from rabbits to birds to frogs, it was not until sixth grade when I first got my dog, Ginger. My siblings and I for years had begged my mom to get a dog, so it was very exciting when we first got her.

Dogs really can not compare to any other animal, they are more like people, every single one different in their own way. Dogs are especially great as childhood pets because they can be a kid’s best friend. They can be their faithful sidekick on an adventure or simply someone to play catch with. Children and dogs can form the best of friendships because children know every time they come home it will be waiting, ready to greet them with a great big smile.

Dogs are best for little kids because they show responsibility. Children have to take care of their dog just like they have to take care of themselves, and taking care of a dog helps the child learn how to really take care of things, as well as helping them grow and mature as a human being. Also, having a dog makes a child feel like no matter what happens there is always someone there that loves them and someone that needs them.

Growing up, and having many different animals I feel it is safe to say that dogs I think are by far the one house pet that shows the most emotion. Kids need that loving affection and dogs are the ones that show it the most. Kids and dogs both need attention and they both are energetic and happy, so they truly compliment each other. And just like some kids dogs have a two second rebound from anything that goes wrong. It is just like when I scold my dog for doing something wrong but a second later I can call her over and she becomes overjoyed and so excited that I am giving her attention and love. So usually they are always happy and loving animals. Also, they always some how know when something is bothering you, and they try to care for you.

In the end the only thing that really matters is that every time you come home you have your best friend waiting for you. That is why I truly believe that dogs are the best childhood pet.