Andy - LaGrange Park, Illinois

I believe that music is a choice and that Rap/Hip-hop music should be given more respect. I believe that rappers are musicians, and should be given the same respect as other more mainstream Artists. Rappers face the issue of racism; often when people look at an African American male, wearing baggy clothes, they often suspect that person of only talking of drugs, money, girls and gangs. In my mind there are two kinds of rap music: there is dance club music, the kind that you hear on your radio and rap music that tells a story, about the rapper’s life and struggle. This I believe.

I believe that rappers are just poets, that just talk faster, and with a beat in the back ground. I can talk about the greats like Run DMC,. I dislike it when people say that rap is crap without really listening to it. You can liste NWA, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G. and Eminem, or all the other rappers who put in just as much time but have never hit the big time. The rappers who are the greats invented the rap and hip-hop world. They came up through the struggle, over the racial barriers, drugs and poverty to make a name for themselves n to songs with a stupid club beat talking about getting with a girl tonight, or you can listen to real rap music, the kind that has made a name for so many. This I believe.

Many of my friends look at me funny when I tell them that I listen to rap music, I just tell them that music is choice and this is my choice. I work at my high school radio station, where they play variety rock, so I never have the chance to play any rap music. The problem that rap music also faces is that the musicians often swear in their songs, which causes parents to refuse to buy them for their children and radio stations to refuse to play them because of the frequent profanity. I think that it’s also a cultural thing. Children tend to enjoy the music that they are familiar with. A house that listens to rock-and-roll will most likely produce children who also enjoy it. I grew up in a house hold where we listened to alternative rock a lot, but I got hooked on a song featuring Chuck D of Public Enemy on a Mellancamp song. I liked his voice and his flow so much that I asked my mom to go out and get me a rap cd, and that’s how I came to this opinion. I believe that rap music should be given more respect and that music is a choice. This I believe.