Matthew - Western Springs, Illinois

This I believe

I believe that education is vital for a successful future. Without an education, what kind of opportunities would one have in the real world? A better than average education will get you into almost any profession. I think an Average education would be High School only in today’s world. College is available to everyone that works hard enough, despite grades or finances. In order to have a prosperous future, a good education is one of the many necessary facets that a person needs.

When many students and young adults in school today think of the benefits of education, they mostly think, “When are we ever going to use this”? The answer to the question is not always, or never, but the skills that you use in classrooms will last you a lifetime. Some students wake up early in the morning, and do not feel like going to school, or hate it, but when you look back on it 20 years from now, you will then realize how important, and fun high school was.

I also believe that balance is essential for one’s growth and intellectual development in High School. By balance, I mean taking the adequate number of courses or more, in order to graduate and improve your knowledge. Lyons Township High School has many different curriculums here that will give nearly anyone a taste for the career field they are interested in. I think that everyone should exceed the number of courses required, mostly for college prep, but it is good that students do not just take non-challenging courses when it comes time for senior year. AP courses are another great way of helping to prepare you for college. Students are very lucky to have a large number of Advanced Placement classes at LT.

Upon High School graduation, another milestone in your life, is attending college. Many companies with specialized positions will only hire you if you have a college degree. It’s even more beneficial for you if you return to college to receive your Master’s degree. You want to major in something that you enjoy, and look forward to that is equally challenging and exciting. You do not want to major in something that you only took because it seemed like it would be an easy A. Sometimes it may take a couple of major class changes or even job and career changes. Do the things that you really enjoy. Challenge yourself as you will be challenged in the future, no matter what you choose to do.