Katie - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that the significance of superficial things decreases with time whereas the significance of real and meaningful things increases with time. I believe that most of the things that we find important now will not be remembered ten years from now. The sweater that I saw at the store last week that was adorned with an outrageous price tag will not have a place in my memory years if not months down the road. The classes that we take next year will not have as big of an affect on our future as it seems now. The fight I had with my brother last weekend that’s reason I have already forgotten will be foreign to my memory.

So now one would ask what do I feel we will remember in the future? I believe that the relationships we build with friends and family are the things that we will remember. We will remember events and people that have made us smile and laugh. We will remember lessons and hardships that have taught us how to deal with the bad and look for the good in every situation. I believe that the things that we will remember are the positive lessons we have learned from good and bad experiences alike.

Eight years ago my aunt died after her six year battle with breast cancer. She left behind a three-year old daughter, two parents, seven siblings, and many nieces and nephews. She was the youngest of eight all of different ages, personalities and beliefs. She was the one person that all of my dad’s siblings had a very close relationship with. She is remembered by her great spirit and her wonderful personality. She is not remembered by her grades, where she went to college, or the mistakes that she made. In the long run what matters most are the things that we continually do, not the small, insignificant actions.

I believe that if we spend our lives only worrying about the small things then we will waste a vast amount of energy. Why should we spend our days caring so greatly about matters that will lose its magnitude in a matter of time? If we quit caring about the small things we will have a larger amount of time to participate in things we enjoy doing. We should be spending our time doing things that will matter whether that be working toward a goal, a friendship or learning a lesson. I believe that we shouldn’t sweat the small stuff and spend more time on what really counts in the long run.