Ben - St. Louis, Missouri

I’ve spent the last eighteen years of my life trying to get a grasp of who they are. Fortunately, I’ve convinced myself to take a short sabbatical from my feeble attempts to piece the puzzle. I’m banking on college to truly get an understanding for them, but I’ve been told not to bother trying. Because of this, I’ve decided that trying to understand women is like trying to figure out why God created armpit hair. Even so, I believe in women.

I’ll be the first to admit that the female species baffles my brain, boggles my mind, burns my ears, and just downright hurts my head. Sometimes I feel as though relating to a girl is like trying to converse with an ape … albeit a very very beautiful ape with longer hair and a smaller nose. The simple concepts are no problem for me, like the fact that women crave appreciation and typically enjoy receiving flowers. But when it comes down to the deeper stuff, I am a lost cause. I’m the guy who always says the stupid thing at the worst time and usually has to apologize later. Why? My mind doesn’t operate the same as the mind of woman does. What I think is funny she thinks is hurtful. What I think is entertaining she thinks is meaningless. What I think is stupid she thinks is amazing. It’s almost if I am a completely different brand than she is. Guys and girls are so different, which is exactly why I believe in women.

In a sense, my realization that I will never figure out women is what makes them so great. God created man, and then he created woman. I ask myself why he would waste one of Adam’s ribs to make a girl. Before I am murdered, let me say that a million answers instantly pop into my mind after my own question. For starters, the fact is women are vital. Without them there is no me or you. If you haven’t noticed, they are the ones that carry around a baby in their wombs for nine months. They do all the hard work while men ask themselves, “How painful could it really be?” Another reason women are so great is that they counter the personalities and qualities of a man. The few women that I have dated, aside from the seven girlfriends I went steady with in first grade, have taught me the importance of balance that a woman brings into a man’s life. God designed man and women to be different for a reason. It’s the differences which make for such a perfect match.

As the years fly by and my knowledge of females remains stagnant, my appreciation for them certainly does not. I’ve come to realize that no matter how confusing and different that they may seem, I must never forget how valuable they are. God did not create women to slave for men. Actually, he created them in the image of himself to dwell on earth and co-exist with man. In fact, I know that men can look at women and see Christ. He is evident in their nature. Why then, do I find myself not treating women with the respect that they deserve and are worthy of? Sadly, my sin can answer that question. Still, it is my belief that women are princesses of the King and should be treated as such. Women are worthy of a pedestal. Not the kind of pedestal that invokes a bunch of ooohs and aahhs and appraisal for beauty. But the kind of pedestal where men approach women as if they were approaching Christ, treating them as God sees fit.

My journey to evaluate females has been a long one. I’m sorry to admit that I haven’t even entered the real arena yet. If I ever do discover the secret to understanding a woman, you can bet that I will most likely write a book about it and enjoy weeks and weeks on the best-seller list while I bask in the Bahamas. Even knowing the impossibility of this task, I do not feel the least bit defeated. I take victory in the fact that understanding women is not a must in my life as long as I do my best to see every female in the beauty of Christ. Never take for granted who women truly are. Somebody once said, “Can’t live with ‘em, can’t live without ‘em.” I fail to believe this statement is entirely true. You certainly can’t live without them, and with the proper mindset, you definitely can live with them.