Emma - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that having a twin sister is like having a best friend living in your house. Looking back on my life I always had a dream that my best friend Ruth would move next door to me, and we could build an underground tunnel and could have sleepovers in each other’s basements. The tunnels would be only big enough for us to go through and we could pretend that we lived with each other. I knew my dream would never come true and that it would always be a fantasy that I would only talk about with Ruth when we played together. It took me about eight years to finally realize that having my twin sister Rachel always around, was basically the same thing as having Ruth live next door.

Growing up, my sister and I always had the same friends. We never really separated, and still today some of my closest friends are hers as well. Although some people would say that it would not do us good to have the same friends, I think it brought us closer because we went through a lot of the same problems together. Whether it be a guy, or a fight with a friend, or even family related issues she and I were always there to comfort and put a smile on my face when I was depressed. Likewise, I was there to help her through any of the struggles that she had to face and was on her side, even when there were conflicts between her and some of my very close friends.

Even though we have our shares of fights and times when we don’t always like each other we always get over our problems and we never stop loving one another. There have been countless times when we have argued and I felt like we would be fighting for days. But the bonds between us have proven to be very strong and the nights would be spent laughing and talking about what happened to us while we had been fighting.

Just like best friends, we stick by each other through thick and thin, and most people would argue that we have to because we our family. I would have to argue with them because I have seen some families whose siblings have not had the same relationship as Rachel and I. Growing up with her has probably been one of the greatest gifts that God has given to me. She has been my inspiration and a mentor for many things. Looking back, living with her brought more joyful memories than any underground tunnel could bring. She knows me better than any person and will always be there for me no matter what.