Kaitlyn - LaGrange Park, Illinois

Sometimes, I have those days when I feel like the whole world is against me. It’s nothing serious, but it’s not a good feeling. It makes me want to crawl into bed, and slip under the covers and just lay there until the day is over. Sometimes, it can be the result of a school project. Other times it’s because of family of personal issues. But mostly, it is impossible for me to tell why I suddenly I feel this way. I hate to be like that, but it can be hard to avoid. Luckily I have family and friends to help me. And to that, I believe that people have the power to truly make others feel better on a bad day.

I can remember recently when I was having a bad day. I hadn’t gotten a lot of sleep the night before, so I was tired. At school, things got worse. I did something stupid and got in trouble by a teacher. I had to start picking out classes for junior and senior year. I also had to start to think hard about what I was going to do with my future. My thoughts followed me all day, and I slowly became more and more unhappy. Overall, I felt depressed. That night, I was talking to one of my friends and he told me that everything was going to be alright, and that I had nothing to worry about. I could tell it was sincere and it was exactly what I needed to hear.

Recently, this belief that people can make others feel better has become more evident to me. As teachers, parents, coaches and friends become more and more demanding, it is wonderful to know that there is someone I can always turn to. I have amazing friends and family to help. I hope that everyone in the world has a strong support system. The knowledge that someone will always be there for me is more powerful than any kind of depression or bad feeling I may have. People really do have the power to make another feel better on a bad day. It could be a hug and saying “Don’t worry, you will be just fine,” or something as simple as a warm smile. As long as the words or gestures are sincere, I suddenly feel at ease and I know in my heart that things really will be okay. It’s just nice to hear someone else say it. It can truly make someone feel better on a bad day.