Tricia - LaGrange Highlands, Illinois

I Believe

I always think that one should enjoy every minute of life, never take it for granted. Yeah, I know, one always hears it from adults; don’t waste your life away; enjoy life while your young. By the end, all one hears is b l a h B L A H B L A H! I had the same feelings and, I too tuned out as some elder t r i e d to enlighten me on the topic. Lets just say now, I know why.

It was late in the year 2005, just over a year now when the roller figure skating championships was taking place in Rome Italy. Representing the U.S in the Jr. pairs division were my close friends Allison XX, and Tony XX. Both of their families, and their coach; my father, were there to cheer them on during what was suppose to be the greatest moment of their lives. It was the night they skated and right after Tony, got picked randomly for a drug test. Everyone wanted to stick together so they waited. It was around 11:00 o’clock when they finished and the shuttle back to the hotel had left. Their hotel was walking distance so they walked. They walked in a group, my father at the front and Tony at the end, holding his little brother’s hand, Kyle; who was trailing slightly behind him. They were crossing a so thought to be deserted street when my father heard a loud screech. He turned as an object flew over a speeding car, followed by a thud. Kyle died on impact with the pavement.

Kyle was 10 years old. He was loved by everyone, and could put a smile on anyone’s face. He loved skating and playing in his baseball league, just like his big brother. He looked up to Tony so much, and wanted to do everything that Tony did. It is a shame he will never get the chance. I knew him well and couldn’t believe what happened, it broke my heart. I was a wreck and I’m so thankful for those who helped me get through, I couldn’t of made it without them. Ever since then I am haunted by the horrid truth that he died so young, missing out on so much in life. He was had a wonderful future in front of him, but now, it’s gone.

This tragedy has caused me to ponder about my life; wondering just what really means the most to me. I discovered how much I cared about my own little brother; the truth is I’ll do anything for him. I want to live it to it’s fullest potential. Also I look at life itself differently now, thing seems a little more important, flowers a bit brighter, music a bit sweeter. I try to appreciate each day like it’s my last, enjoying every minute; and also in turn, being thankful for everything I have.