Michael - Brookfield, Illinois

Have you ever wondered why certain things happen? Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do good things happen to bad people? Although some things don’t seem to make sense at the time, and certain things might frustrate you, I believe that almost everything happens for a reason.

I don’t mean that virtually everything, like that the color of the underwear you put on will completely reshape your day or life, but bigger things that seem frustrating or unexpected, probably happen for a good reason.

I’ve been angered that I’ve been late on account of someone else, and when we finally get on the road traffic is horrible due to a car accident up ahead. But, sometimes I stop and think, “Had we had left when we were supposed to, that could have been us”.

I use this concept to help me cope with many of the frustrating demands that life seems to throw at me. When I do bring up this belief, a distinctive event comes to mind. A couple years ago I had taken a trip to Texas. On our last day we hadn’t left as early as we should have to catch our flight. While on the unfamiliar roads, we took so many wrong turns that I had begun to think that we’d never get back home. After several hours we had finally made it to the airport, an hour after our flight was scheduled to take off. We were devastated; the next flight wasn’t until the following day. While my mom was in line to arrange a later flight, I had taken a look at the plane schedules; our flight had been delayed! We were ecstatic. We were even happier when we walked to our gate and saw that all the people waiting for the flight looked miserable, uncomfortable, and exhausted beyond belief. It was such a relief that we didn’t have to go through all of that. Even though we were aggravated trying to get there, we stuck with it, and didn’t turn back, and hey, we even had the luxury of air conditioning and the radio in our car.

Along with many other incidences where I have felt that something was “meant to be”, the trip to Texas stood in my mind as a good example of how things happen for a reason. It’s said that you need to be in the right place at the right time, but sometimes it tends to be that if you end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, that it was almost fate. Next time you get upset because you have to stay home on a Friday night to watch your little brother, think that it’s possible that something bad might have come out of leaving, or even, you gained more by staying home rather than leaving. All things affect your daily life in some way, and certain things, even if the purpose isn’t evident, happen for a reason. This, I Believe…