Suzanne - LaGrange, Illinois

Share in Song

I believe that music is the strongest force of unity. Music brings people and ideas together and allows people to connect with each other in ways that would not be possible if there were only words. Ever since the beginning of civilization, there has been music that represents society. The music provides a sense of belonging to every individual and shapes connections between every member of the entire group. Music is not just a part of every culture. Music builds the culture. Music keeps a civilization alive; keeps its people dancing.

Sometimes, I find it difficult to get a feeling of belonging out of today’s music. I have a hard time incorporating music into my social life because most people my age do not like the kind of music that I listen to. At the Homecoming dance last year, the DJ played one of my favorite songs, and I was so excited that I actually started dancing myself. I never dance, so this was a very unusual move for me. I actually joined a mosh pit! Everyone jumped up and down in unison and we sang the chorus together, and I had a great time. It was as if a force suddenly connected everyone, like the music was a giant bubble that surrounded everyone, touching each person, bringing everyone together.

That feeling of interconnectedness is amazing. I did not know most of the people dancing around me, yet I felt a bond between us as soon as the song started playing. This bond is everywhere, though, and not just at school dances. Music ties so many people together in so many different situations. I can feel it at the beginning of a baseball game, when thousands of people rise to listen to the National Anthem and share their pride in America. The feeling is in the movie theatres, too. Sitting in the dark, everyone in the theatre experiences the same fear when the Jaws theme starts, and the same thrill as the StarWars opening song rings throughout the room. The music allows us to connect with each other by sharing emotions. This connectedness is also common during the holiday season. Everyone listens to the same traditional tunes, which creates a feeling of nostalgia, and of family. People feel closer to each other during the holidays.

What would it be like to live in a world without music? There would be no music at dances, or in the movie theatres, and sporting events would be silent. People would never again sing Christmas carols. The world would feel so empty. Humans would lack that bond, that glue, that holds our culture together. I believe that music is so important to our society because it unites people. Music unites you and me. It unites neighborhoods and countries. Music holds the world together and everyone shares a song.