Nolan - Western Springs, Illinois

It was the winter of 2005 and I was going out to dinner with my family and grandparents before going to see a play. We were all dressed up very nice and going to eat at a fancy restaurant named “Symphony” in downtown Chicago. Of course there are many nice restaurants in downtown Chicago just like this one, but this one just happened to be closest to the theatre.

Upon arrival I was already so hungry I could eat anything, or so I thought. I was praying for a huge T.G.I. Fridays sized menu, but instead we got a one sided menu giving enough choice for anyone except an American. There were, no one or even two word items on the menu such as cheeseburger or fried calamari. Everything was elaborately named with many ways of preparing the food that I have never even heard of! There were also many types of sauces and spices I never knew existed. So I decided to pick out an item that consisted of some terms I knew such as cheese which I saw in my appetizer and steak which sounded good for my entrée.

About a half an hour later our appetizers arrived because I guess fancy places think it is “fancy” to make people wait longer for their food. I immediately take a bite out of my appetizer then swallow it with a look of disgust. I quickly sipped my coke which was about the only thing on the menu I could fully understand, and then I began to examine my dish. There were mushrooms, beans, many other things that I couldn’t quite put my finger on; thankfully there was cheese on top the only thing I liked in the dish.

A half an hour after we got our appetizers the entrées arrived and it was impossible to tell if it was edible or not. My steak was covered in evergreen pines and had some sort of berry on it that did not belong on steak. Then it had one big twig sticking up through the center of it. This is when I thought to myself why would anyone go this far to ruin a perfectly good steak?

I believe that fancy restaurants go too far in trying to create the best appearance that they ruin the real taste. Instead of that crazy steak I would have much rather of had a nice cut of steak with maybe some blue cheese on top, now is that too much to ask? I would have easily even taken a cheeseburger over it. Sure the fancy presentation of the dish might be impressive looking at the work of art on a meal, but once I take a bite of it I do not look at the meal with the same sense satisfaction any more, which is what lead me to believe what I do now.