Kevin - Western Springs, Illinois

The Power of Music

I believe that music is very powerful- music can move a person’s soul.

When I was five years old, I started to take violin lessons. I continued to take those same lessons for 10 years. Those 10 years opened up many doors for me. I became very talented musically, and I traveled to places such as Bermuda and China through my violin experience. Most of all, it opened up my ears to the immense influence that music has on a given person’s soul.

One Christmas concert specifically sticks out in my mind. My violin ensemble was playing a very fun, up-beat song. Looking around the audience, I didn’t see a dull face on anybody. Everybody was joyfully smiling and lightly rocking their heads to the beat. The fun happy music rubbed off on everybody there, and the atmosphere of the concert hall was like one big happy smile. Then the last song we played was a beautiful sad-sounding song. After playing the song with all my heart, I looked around the audience and barely saw a dry eye. I counted at least 20 parents crying their eyes out from the beauty of the song. One minute the audience is jovial and glee, and the next minute they are completely bawling over the music. Music can flat out make a person bipolar.

The thing I love most about playing violin concerts is feeling the emotions and the atmosphere in the area. I just let the music absorb into me, and I become very moved in what the song is trying to tell me or make me feel. It is always fun to see what the audience feels too. Instead of communicating through words, I can play music and express emotions and feelings.

Obviously the violin is not the only type of music, and it certainly is not the only music that moves people. I believe that any type of music can click with anybody, and everybody can use music to express feelings and relate to. No matter what type of music it is – rock ‘n’ roll, Mozart, hip hop, lullabies, exotic music, rap, anything – music performs miracles on me and others. A person is able to put their heart and soul into a song, whether playing or listening. The music flows through every part of the body, every cell, every atom moves to the music. I believe in music.