Amanda - LaGrange, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

I Believe in Luck

Most people believe that everything happens for a reason, whether it’s bad or good. I, on the other hand, believe that many things happen in spite of luck.

Less than three months ago my friend, Hayley, picked me up and we were driving to Joliet to pick up another friend. Hayley was never known as the smartest girl or the most reliable person ever, but I have learned to trust her. Although my parents weren’t thrilled to let me drive with her, they decided to trust her too.

Later that day they found out that they had made a bad decision. We were sitting in the car talking when Hayley realized the truck next to us was coming into our lane, and didn’t see us at all. As the truck hit us I started screaming. Hayley lost control of the car, and because we were in the right lane we swerved up the side towards the wall of the viaduct. After we hit the wall we started rolling back down the hill, and I closed my eyes and waited for it to be over.

We finally stopped and I looked over at Hayley and started crying. Luckily, we landed right-side up and Hayley was able to open her door and get out. My door was so smashed that I had to climb through Hayley’s door. I was so shaken up that once I got out of the car I walked away and sat down in the grass, away from all the glass. I kept looking over at the car and was completely astonished that I was still alive. We didn’t have our phones because they flew out of our pockets during the crash, so we just sat and waited for somebody to come.

The cops pulled up shortly after with a tow truck and let us use their phone to call my parents. I called my dad and tried to stay calm, but once he answered the phone I started bawling. I told him I had gotten into an accident and to come pick me up by the Hinsdale Oasis. When he pulled up with my mom they were even more shocked than I was, and the sight of the car made my mom start to cry too.

As my mom was talking to the cops, a policeman told her that we were extremely lucky. My mom looked at him, and he said that most people don’t walk away from rollover accidents, that we were two of the few lucky people who were able to walk away. Hayley had many cuts on her hands from the glass, and my neck was really sore then next day. I believe that this accident didn’t necessarily happen for a reason, but we were extremely lucky that we are both still alive.