Victoria - LaGrange Park, Illinois

How do you explain why dreadful events occur in this crazy and hectic life? This is a question I have often pondered upon in my day to day experiences. Why did the cowardly terrorist attacks occur that woeful day in September? What good came out of Hurricane Katrina? How did my grandfather survive with a one percent chance of maintaining life? Although I unfortunately do not have the answers to these puzzling questions, I have my own belief and theory. I believe that everything happens for a reason.

As a first grader, I was just like every other young child. I adored school, playing with my dolls, and having play dates with my friends. But when I think of first grade I think of my grandpa, and the miracle my family and I were blessed with. My grandpa entered the hospital with a ruptured aortic aneurysm and throughout his stay in the hospital he experienced a heart attack and an unforgiving stroke. Being young, I didn’t understand those technical terms, but I knew that my beloved grandpa was sick. Visits to him were never easy because he was unresponsive. I have always been uncomfortable in hospitals, but having someone I knew and loved in one for sixty-two days was the worst.

At around the fortieth day the doctors wanted to take him off of life support because they said he’d never wake up, but my family didn’t lose hope. One, night my parents decided to go bowling and on the way they decided to check on my grandpa. They were surprised and utterly relieved when my grandpa stirred in the bed and became responsive. My mom rushed to get the intensive care unit nurses. At first they doubted her but my mom said firmly, “Dad if you can here us you better let us know.” He responded with a firm head nod. Everyone was ecstatic because this was so unexpected! He remained in the hospital for a few weeks after to recover, but was eventually released. To this day, nine years later my grandfather is still alive and with us.

That day I know fate was on our side. My cousin, and my grandpa’s grandson, David was born while my grandpa was in the hospital. David was brought to see him in the hospital and I believe that part of the reason my grandpa is still here is because he was meant to meet my cousin and be a part of his life. While growing up, and now, David has a special bond with him. Because of this, I believe that everything happens for a reason and that my grandpa was meant to be here.