Tera - Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I believe that performing brings out my true self. Singing, dancing, acting, performing in general lets me portray my real emotions. I am all these different women bottled up inside one smiley “mask”.

Ever since I was born, people have always told me that I always smile all the time. I am known as the “smiley girl” by everyone I meet. I was even voted “Best Smile” of my high school graduating class. I feel that my “mask” hides the person I really am. I’m not saying that I am this totally mystical person – and don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind being known as that label, but it scares me that people only see my physical appearance. They don’t try to get to know the true me.

Performing lets people see all the other sides of me. Being a performer is my true self. That’s who I am. I am a Theater/Music nerd and I am proud of it

Performing lets me explore the other sides of my personality; ones that no one ever sees. People are surprised that I can have different emotions other than just happy. Everyone just always sees the “smiley” girl all the time, but that’s not who I truly am. I believe that I was put on this earth to make other people happy; to make other people laugh and smile. I believe that if I smile I can make the world a better place. That is my “mask”. I am like that to make the people around me happy, but my mask doesn’t define who I am. I hurt too, just like everyone else. Sometimes all too much, but my “mask” covers it up because I don’t think it’s worth making other people worry and fuss about things I can deal with myself.

I believe I am a very strong person. It takes a lot for me to cry. The only things that can make me cry on the spot are things that have to do with music, theater, and dancing. I don’t know why that is, but when I hear a sad song or see a moving performance, I break down. Things in my every day life don’t make me sad. I’m not sure if that is a good or bad thing, but that tells me that I am very passionate about performing. Ever since I can remember I loved getting up in front of people. I always wanted attention. My mom always told me that I was a crowd pleaser; I always got all this energy when I was in front of a bunch of people. I would never be timid to stand up and sing or dance in front of people. That is still true today. I come alive when I am on a stage.

No matter where I end up in life, I hope to continue to perform – because that’s who I am; a performer. My life is a musical and I am the leading lady of it.