EDWARD - PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania

For the most part, my personal believe is not particularly important to the society. On the other hand, my beliefs about some things are very important. There are things subject to my traditions rituals—that is they exist only so long as I believe in them. One of this is the “truth and lies rituals” we honor to a new born baby. When one gets right down to it, the truth of it only exist because our Ghanaian community believe in it and insist that everyone, even the non believers, behave as if it exists.

When we stop believing, stop insisting that the tradition protect us all, and that every single one of us is accountable to the customs and rituals—in that moment the traditions rituals will be gone. For this reason I cling to my belief in the tradition customs and rituals. It is probably a good achievement of our society. It is our embankment raised as a defensive fortification against the religion our colonial masters established in the community of Ghana Africa to be precise.

Figuratively my tradition customary rituals are very strong and terribly fragile. When a new born baby is born we believe that when alcohol and water is dipped on his or her tongue. This signify that when ever the baby come across alcohol he or she should testify that its alcohol and vice-versa to water. In times of crisis and threat, there is a temptation to stop believing in the tradition customs. That is when a child begins a drinking habit {alcohol}—there is a temptation to think that it weakens rather than protects us. I will say these rituals might be out of ignorance and has imperialized me as well as the community of Ghana. I believe in the traditions rituals for truth and lies for a new born baby and will not accept it’s being taken away. I believe that we are not so ignorant, impotent, or so frightened that we must give it up or perish.

I believe that those few colonial masters who harmed our tradition with their religion are not that strong and powerful that I must abandon my belief in my traditional rituals for “truth and lies” that makes me worth us a truthful person. I also believe in the African tradition, where love and mutual respect are fostered and encouraged in our rituals, therefore I must do more than contribute my part towards the spiritual well-being of all. Man’s age-long effort has been to be free from lies. Throughout time I have struggled against some form of tyrannical act that enslaves my mind and body not to lie. There is an epidemic in a man’s life that unrestrained the exercise of power to lie.

The “truth and lies” ritual for a new born baby covers a lot of beliefs, finding them used conveniently by good people. It’s not that we find truth with alcohol, but most of the time it makes most African men and women grow up to be very faithful to their marriage. I have been sometimes imperfect but when I remember my tradition—my mistakes rightly humbles me. I believe my tradition rituals makes me live by principles of honor, faith, and trustworthy. I want my children to live by them as well. I believe it will help them make better decisions and continue to pave the path towards truth and faithfulness.