Nick - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: sports

The everyday American life can be a grind. Many people are under a lot of stress while performing difficult, often laborious jobs. When they get home from work, normally Americans just wants to sit down, have a nice meal, turn on the TV, and just relax. For many, people are watching sporting events which they find relaxing. I believe in sports as a relief from the rough, stressful, everyday life of the average American.

When I first started high school, it was a tough transition in schoolwork and in extra-curricular activities. The middle school I attended was outrageously simple in all aspects. I would have no more than an hour of homework every night and practices for sports went to five o’clock at the latest. Then I started playing football for LT in the summer and two-a-days began (8am-10am, 11am-1pm). When school itself started I found myself having absolutely no free time and being completely stressed out. Football ended at six o’clock and it was common for me to have three hours of homework at the least. I was completely in over my head. Sundays were the only days I had nothing going on, and I had a lot of homework on the weekends so my free time was down to a mere four or five hours. At first I didn’t know how I was going to spend this time whether it be sleeping, playing videogames, hanging out with friends, or watching TV. TV sounded like the best option so I turned the channel to an NFL football game between the New York Jets and the New England Patriots. Normally I do not like to watch many other NFL games other than the Bears, but the Bears had a bye week so I continued to watch. I found myself starting to feel more relaxed as the game went along. By the end of the third quarter, I had forgotten everything else that had been going on at school that was on my mind when the game started. The Patriots ended up winning the game but that is not what I remember best about that day. I clearly remember how relaxed and calm I felt throughout the game. I had gone from being so stressed out to feeling like I didn’t have a care in the world. That tranquil, relaxed feeling lasted throughout the week and it impacted my schoolwork and my extra-curricular activities in a positive way.

I now make it a norm to watch sporting events, from the NFL to MLB to the NCAA, any free chance I get. For me and many others, it acts as a retreat from the real world. It gives hope and something to look forward to for the average American who many times has the same routine day in and day out. Sports can act as a relief from everyday life, and it can also impact one’s work in a positive way.