Samantha - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: peace

“Can I get a little peace and quiet in here?”

Have you ever just wanted to rip your hair out because you can never get any peace and quiet anywhere? Do you feel like the world is deliberately trying to make you go crazy? Do you feel like going “AAUUUUUUUGGHHHHH!!!!!!!” as loud as you can?

I am a true believer in just plain quiet.

When it is quiet, you do not have to think or you actually can think. The power of choice is in your hands. During these quiet times, I have discovered things about myself that I would not have noticed if I had not taken the time to just be silent; to actually listen to my heart. People would be surprised at how much they sort out when their brain is at rest.

These days we no longer know what silence truly is. Noise has been injected into our culture as part of our quiet time. Whether it is driving home at night with music on or watching TV in your basement, we have to have sound. Even I admit that I need music on in order to relax. However, we cannot keep going like this forever. We all have a limit to how much we can handle, how long we can keep on chugging through life.

One summer, I went backpacking in the San Juan mountains with my church. I remember going off alone to have my quiet time with God. However, most of my time was spent trying to figure out what this distinct sound was. I thought maybe it was the river or maybe it was the trees. Then it hit me. It was silence. Absolutely true pure silence. I had never actually heard it before. The sad thing: silence was loud to me. I had never really thought of noise pollution previously, but it is true that our world is polluted by noise. We listen to noise while writing an important paper. We fall asleep to noise. We do almost everything to noise.

Ever since that mountain trip, I have become more and more dependent on my quiet times. It has gotten to the point that if I do not take the time for me, I tend to become tired and testy. I also become very stressed about everything, even if it is the equivalent of nothing.

I believe that God gave us these quiet times so that we can become closer to Him and to know Him better then we do now. Have you ever gone into your room, laid down on your bed, and just listened? God will speak to us if only we have our ears open. No, your ears cannot be filled with earphones or some kind of music. And no, you cannot be reading or writing. You have to just sit there and listen. Hard? You bet. Even Jesus often used to go off by himself to spend time with the Father.

Quiet times were created to take a spell off from the world. Everyone has this false idea that they get energy from being busy. I would always keep my time packed because than I was never bored and being bored was a thing I hated. However, caught up in all my activities, I did not want to admit to myself that I was tired. Tired emotionally, spiritually, and physically. I was wondering why God was not talking to me and why I was not strengthening in my faith. Well, no duh! I was never slowing down enough to think or ponder Him. I never had devotions because I was way too busy. Before the mountain trip, I never realized what I was doing to myself. Our society is always on the move, so who can tell if they are going too fast? During that quiet time, I stood back and examined my life and found that I needed to make some changes. It’s good to stand back and examine our lives. We can learn so much.

We need to change our view of what a quiet time is. Try doing your homework or praying without music on in the background. It is hard, but it will pay off. It fulfills the spirit more then being busy and occupied all the time. So take a moment and just be quiet. Listen to the silence.