Devin - Albany, Georgia

I believe in fairy tales and the prospect of happily ever after. I believe that Prince Charming will one day knock on my door to finally take me away from the ordinariness and simplicity of my life. He will whisk me away to a castle in which servants will care for me and my Prince will love me. Never again will I have to worry about anything, because, like so many fairy tales promise, I will live happily ever after.

I guess my belief in fairy tales began rather early. I’m not exactly sure when, but as far back as I can remember, I’ve loved the Disney version of Hans Christian Anderson’s “The Little Mermaid.” As a young girl, I would sit and play with my Barbie dolls all day long, but, unlike other little girls’ dolls, all my Barbie dolls had fins. All of my ordinary Barbie dolls were transformed into extraordinary mermaids, with seashell tops and beautiful tails that shimmered in the sunlight. Ken and other Barbie boys were usually surface dwellers with legs that the mermaid girls envied. A mermaid would sing to a boy, and they would instantly fall in love. Of course, like Ariel and Prince Eric, my Barbie and her beau would have to go through all sorts of disasters before actually arriving at their happily ever after.

One of the biggest problems that believing in the kind of love that fairy tales promise is that no boy will ever be good enough. Honestly, no guys ever hold the door open for me anymore. There are jocks and geeks, jerks and nerds, but no princes. How am I ever supposed to find my prince in today’s world?

All my life, I’ve believed in the concept of fairy tales. Maybe it’s the famed idea of love conquering all, or maybe it’s just the notion that love exists at all. After discovering that my father had an affair, I wanted to give up on love. I really did. If my parents’ love for each other couldn’t keep my father from sleeping around, then I didn’t stand a chance for finding true love and happiness. Then, later that year, The Little Mermaid came out on DVD. My mother bought it for me, and as soon as the movie started, I found myself once again believing in mermaids and mermen and all the fairy tales that promote happily ever after. As much as I thought it would hurt me to still believe in things only little girls believe in, I felt so much better. Having hope for unreal things, like mermaids and fairies, is a gift because these enchantments, unlike people, can never let me down.