The Magic of Dreadful Locks

Abigail - West Lafayette, Indiana
Themes: setbacks

The Magic of Dreadful Locks

I know bad hair days. I have experienced those days when that one “flyaway” will not lie down and instead decides to stick from your head like a horn. However, I don’t see bad hair days as actual “bad days.” Simply because my hair forces me to spend the day hiding behind a baseball cap, it is no reason for me to stress about it. Life is too short to worry about that one frizzy patch of curl. I know that simply starting a day out as a bad hair day can actually turn into an amazing day.

Every important day in my life has started out as a bad hair day. Every first date, important interview, and public speech has been on a wickedly bad hair day. I have spent numerous hours with my various products of submission: hairspray, gel, curling irons, and of course my favorite, the straightening iron. After all this work, I wondered whether it was worth it. I realized that I am so much more than my hair on one of those important speech days. My hair was protruding out on one side and neatly turning inward on the other, yet not one of the people in my audience cared. That is when I came to the revelation that they were actually listening to me talk about things that really mattered not laughing at my silly hair. This was a life lesson I could store for future use.

I have learned that bad hair days should be taken in stride. The most important thing a bad hair day has done is taught me to not stress about what I cannot control. I still fret about my curls (I am a female after all) but I have learned to embrace them. There are mornings when I wake up with horrible bed head and full day worth of classes. Yet, I no longer freak out. My day is full of possibilities and just because I have a fuzz ball for hair doesn’t mean that I can’t be every bit as productive as my neatly coiffed counterparts.

I believe in bad hair days. I feel that life is too short and unpredictable to stress about something as petty as one’s hair. Life cannot be lived by looking in a mirror but by taking control (and lots of deep breathes) and giving it all I have. Hats help too.