Brendan - Arlington Heights, Illinois

Golfing For Answers

I believe everyone needs to have an activity that allows them to forget about their problems, at least for a little while. Sometimes life gets difficult and everyone needs to take a break, relax, and remember the good things in life. For me, golf is the ultimate way to relax and escape. A golf course at dawn is picture perfect; the morning dew still on the grass, the sun rising just over the horizon, and the calm of a slight wind.

I discovered at a young age golf can be a good way to relax and not think about life’s issues. I remember my dad coming home after a really frustrating week of work. He decided to take my two brothers and me to the golf course. It seemed as if each hole he played the more relaxed and less frustrated he became. As I watched my dad unwind, I realized that golf could be my place to come for escape from the frustrations of everyday life.

As I grew older, I began to have little problems that I needed to get away from and forget about. I was 18 years old, I suffered one of my high school break ups yet, it seemed very difficult to deal with because of all the reminders of the person and this is when I realized golf was my escape from my problems. I grabbed my clubs and went to play a few holes. I remember feeling more calm and relaxed with every shot I hit. The sights and the sounds of the golf course helped me realize there is a lot more hardships out there than a high school romance. I remember feeling great after the round and the break up no longer seemed to bother me as much.

Golf being a positive activity to rely on during the harder times in life has helped me stay away from other ways of dealing with problems be it violence, drinking, or drugs. Golfing helped me recall, that there are a lot of good things in life to contrast the bad. I know golf will always be there to play or it will be there as a reminder of better times. I will always have it to take me away from the difficulties of life.

Everyone needs their own golf course. A golf course in the fall is the most relaxing place, the sight of the leaves changing on the trees and the feel of acool fall breeze on your face. It may not be a golf course for everyone, it might be a beach, field, or an activity. If we can all forget about are problems for an hour and enjoy life, people may find the answer to their problems or realize there are a lot worse things in life that can happen. An escape is not a way to run from your problems, it is simply a way to relax and enjoy life. Everyone needs an escape from their problems…this I believe.