Adam - Fishers, Indiana
Themes: work

Food Tells a Story

The food service industry offers far greater experience than just knowing the difference between a filet and a sirloin. A server learns the difference between the many specialty dishes, but he or she learns far greater lessons than just that. I believe that everyone should work in a restaurant as a server at least once in their life. Waiting tables is an experience, and a lesson in patience and understanding people’s emotions and personalities.

Any server has plenty of stories to tell about horrible customers and crappy tips. One day I was given a two-cent tip, another day I spilled a tray of food on a table, or I could explain all the stupid stuff that goes on in the kitchen. A server experiences so much from the time he or she clocks in to the time he or she clocks out. Customers get so easily frustrated with waiting for their food, it’s ridiculous. Serving is a sense of understanding a person’s emotions and learning to cater to each and every different customer. A server has to be able to relate to the people they are attending to and figure out how they can make their experience a good one, no matter what the situation is. In a sense a server isn’t selling food, but rather they are selling themselves.

One psychologically learns to read the people ordering their food. Food can tell a story about the person ordering. For instance, if a person was to take a long time to order, it may mean that they are indecisive about the options, or that person may like to take time to consider their options before acting on them. Now if a person knows exactly what they want it means that they have decided before hand, or they know what they want and may be afraid of change. In the long run, I believe that this helps a server identify with how exactly people feel and try and solve the situation by paying attention to their personality. The server is made into a people person after being in the industry for a while. After serving they can identify how to handle many different situations, and identify themselves with different types of people.

Serving is definitely more than just food, it’s a source of entertainment. Serving provides life lessons, and ability to understand people. Servers learn more about themselves and their abilities than most people do at other jobs. I believe waiting tables is by far the greatest experience of my life and will benefit me in the future. My job as a server has been a building experience of my life that will help me in the future. It will help me identify with people of different beliefs, cultures and personalities of those not of my own. Many people know me as a person they can talk to and who will listen. People appreciate the advice I give because of that. I wouldn’t have that respect had I not gained the experience I had as a server.