Robert - Plainfield, Indiana

From a Bogey to a Hole-In-One

I believe in a good round of golf on a sunny day. I believe in taking a few hours out of my day to go to the course and play a round of eighteen. People should live life like a game of golf. Golf is slow paced, takes concentration, and lets you enjoy the beauty of the course that surrounds you. Golf makes you slow down and visualize what you want to do before you do it, just like people should be doing in the world today.

Life today has become too fast paced. People rush around and just let life pass them by. They never take the time to enjoy the scenery or to take a step back and look at this wondrous world we live in.

I began to believe in slowing things down after my first semester in college. I would always be rushing to class, staying up late doing homework, and pushing deadlines to the last minute. I sometimes rejected spending time with my friends just because I thought I had too much other work to do. During these times my mom kept telling me that these years are the best years of my life, but I was truly not having a good time. My friends were also having the same problems. Many of them were not happy with their college lives, weren’t sure what they wanted to do, and were constantly stressing out about the little things that were going on.

After my first semester I decided to take a step back and reexamine things. It was kind of like how you take time to examine the kind of shot you’re going to take next in golf. In the game of golf, if you rush your shot or don’t take your time, there’s a good chance that your ball could end up in the rough or somewhere that you really don’t want it to be. My life was like that rushed shot, I never took my time to see what was really going on, and instead I rushed everything and ended up in the rough. It was then I realized that I needed to start taking my time and really focus on what I was doing.

In the world today, people need to learn to take a step back and reexamine their lives, just like I did. They need to learn to take a break to smell the flowers or to go have a cup of coffee with an old friend. If you take your time and slow things down, then maybe, just maybe, you can tee-off and hit that ever evasive hole-in-one—this I believe.