Meghan - Godfrey, Illinois

A Good Run

I can hear the music blaring in my ears, while my thoughts melt away in the dust behind me. With every stride my mind continues to feel free from the world. A good run, this is my safe harbor. I leave the road behind me and all I see is the distance in front of me. The road does not care about the clothes I wear, what my hair looks like, or if I’m wearing make-up. The road does not judge me.

Running helps heal the stress that my body and mind go through everyday. Stress is like a disease that can overtake one’s life at anytime. Everyone must find that one thing that can calm them down and clear their thoughts. I don’t particularly like running, but I find it as a cure for stress and other problems. I find myself leaving for a run after getting in arguments with my parents or friends. The run is an escape, cleansing my mind of all thoughts and emotions.

The emotions I can feel are repressed when I put on my headphones and start out. I am no longer dwelling on the events that are occurring in my life, but rather the lyrics of the music and the pain my body feels as I push myself harder. The steps I take are beats in the music that run from my ears through my entire body with every breath I take. The music pushes me to continue as my breathing becomes deeper and the pain rushes through my legs. My legs may be begging me to stop, but the feeling of escape from my run convinces me otherwise. Each breath helps me concentrate on the run. The rhythm of my breathing coincides with the music, and I know I must continue to keep my mind clear and carefree.

A good run does not have to be enjoyed alone either. Sometimes, it is easier to keep pushing yourself if there is a friend there to keep you motivated. I often run with a partner. Doing this keeps my mind focused on running so I do not have to worry about anything else. A run with someone also makes me feel as if I am in a race. Running is a head game. I know I must keep moving forward to distract my mind. I cannot allow another person beat me to the finish line. They must be kept in arms reach. This benefits my body and soul when I can boost my speed and self esteem. A partner distracts my mind and keeps my spirits high.

I realize I need to go on a run when I begin to feel stress overtaking me. I start out with a cluttered mind of thoughts and worries. At the point my heartbeat starts racing, my breath and thoughts disappear together. I come back refreshed, willing to start a new task. All I need is time to run from the world. Everyone needs to find their own remedy. A good run is my antidote, this I believe.