Chang Jae - West Lafayette, Indiana
Themes: setbacks

I believe in slowing down in life. Everything is going so fast in 2007. People are so into fast things such as fast foods, fast driving, fast internet, etc that they have forgotten how to step back, relax, and enjoy their life. To do so, two good ways are to drive slowly and to take a deep breathe.

One of my desperate dreams has been to get a drivers license and drive a car. Last summer I finally got my license and started driving. On the road, I was surprised at people driving so fast. I drove so slow that as people passed me by, they yelled at me and gestured. They drove so fast that I thought that there was an emergency. At first, I froze up, I didn’t know what to do, but as time went on, I got better at driving and I got used to people passing me by. However, one day I got so mad at an aggressive driver that I almost got into an accident trying to pass him. I was angry but I was more scared. I am not sure if it’s always better for me to drive slowly, but for sure, I believe it’s safer.

I got my license after all of my friends did. For a first-time driver, it’s always better to drive slowly, but most people don’t. Two years ago, I was in a terrible car accident. I was in hospital for three weeks. My nose, one arm, and a chest bone were broken and I was severely injured. My friend was driving at night at one hundred miles per hour. It was snowing and the car slid and went through a guard rail, slammed into a tree. The car was totally trashed. Both of us, our friends and family thanked god that we survived from that miserable accident. We’ve learned something from it and it has been in my mind until now. Never drive fast. Driving fast might get you home five minutes earlier, but it might also take your life away.

I believe in slowing down in life and not just by driving more slowly, but by enjoying what we have from a different point of view. For example, people nowadays uses internet a lot. Even if it’s fast enough now, they want it to be much faster. I personally didn’t like the internet in school when I first got here because it isn’t as fast as the internet back in Korea. But in different point of view, it’s fast enough to do anything.

How often do you take a deep breathe and take a step back in your life? It actually makes you relax, see the problems in our life in a different view, and make you feel good. I’ve experienced enough that I know it’s not always a better idea to drive fast. It’s not just cars. It’s internet, fast foods and etc. Take a step back. Take your time. You don’t want to risk your like on getting home five minutes earlier. Slowing down in life, this I believe.