Gregory - Indianapolis, Indiana
Themes: parenthood

One Rose Is As Good As A Dozen

My mother spreads good cheer wherever she goes. She brightens up the faces of those around her with even the smallest of gestures. It is because of her that I believe one rose is as good as a dozen.

Everyone has had their mood, possibly their entire day turned around by an unexpected minor event. Anyone has the power to brighten up the lives of the ones around them with a simple gesture or phone call. Growing up, sometimes my mother would surprise me with something like a bouncy ball or a pack of gum. Her small gift would uplift my entire outlook on the day. Every so often she would tell me “One rose is as good as a dozen.” A single rose smells the same as a bouquet of roses so therefore, more than one is not always necessary. It really did not matter what the specific item was, it was the thought that counted. A single rose, an unexpected note, or even a simple compliment can lift even the lowest spirits. Now I try to practice daily what I learned growing up. These actions let loved ones know that they are appreciated.

My parents both graduated from Ball State University in Muncie, IN. While they were there, both of them fell in love with legendary smoked ribs from a place called Q.L.’s. Ever since I started driving, I have been surprising them with this extraordinary meal. No matter how frustrating and hectic work was for them, they could come home and be refreshed by their favorite college feast.

When I have the chance to brighten up someone else’s day, I take it. My mom always says “One rose is as good as a dozen,” and now I believe it. My dad, however, still buys her a dozen roses whenever he gets the chance because he knows she is worth it. The reason I adored those little gifts so much was because I expected nothing. It never took a squirt gun or a new bike to keep me happy. It does not have to be someone you love, like, or even know to have a positive impact on their life. Anyone can make a difference because all it takes is a thought. This I believe.