Adam - Fridley, Minnesota

Malted barley roasted to a perfect golden starch; flowery herbal hops, crushed into a delightfully bitter citrus paste; nutrients and flavor bathed in pure life-giving water. As soon as the yeast is added this liquid bread begins to rise, and within weeks nature will deliver an elixir as old as civilization itself. So pull up a stool, grab a tall frosty mug, and let me explain why I believe… in beer.

Beer is honest but tactful. It shows me exactly who I am, yet helps maintain a smile no matter how brutal the truth. It creates a world my subconscious yearns to experience and frees me from harsh self-judgment. It reveals my happy disposition when I find myself surrounded by close friends whom I’ve perhaps never met. When I’m relaxed, I sit back, take a sip, and meditate to the rhythmic energy of a roaring crowd. And when I find myself sitting alone for too long, beer delivers the soul mate I need—if only for an evening.

Beer is committed. From the first sip to the last gulp, beer does not abandon me. It’s the first of my friends to arrive at the bar, and the last to leave. It sticks with me through the good days and the bad, through my successes and failures, and through those occasions when other concoctions just won’t do. Beer is as committed to me as I am to it. I know that when I’m craving a fresh frothy brew, it’s craving me right back. And the more I consume beer, the more it consumes me.

Beer is optimistic. It paints a picture of the future worth drinking for. It starts by accentuating auspicious features, and then adds an exhilarating hue to areas normally too dull to notice. It takes some creative liberty in filling in the blanks, until finally reforming the canvas to reveal the more abstract aspects of the scene. By the time this work is complete, the once tangible image of reality is transformed into a mere sensation—a feeling that everything is alright and the future will be great. When I’m drinking beer, my glass is never half empty, it’s full.

But enough talk—it’s time to stop listening to me and order another round. It might be just the thing you need to wind down after what must have been an exhausting day. It might teach you something about yourself or those around you. It might help you find peace in your hectic life or hope in your uncertain future. It may finally give you the freedom to be the person you’ve always wanted to be… Or maybe I’ve just had one too many beers.