John - Western Springs, Illinois

The word honesty has been accepted in this society to be much more than jest the simple meaning of telling the truth. It has a deep connection to all truths and relationships men and women create in their daily lives. It takes years to help enhance a person’s life, but can be used to destroy in a blink of an eye. With all the corruption in society in this modern age, it is extremely difficult to take this word seriously, but in the end it makes all the difference. I believe that honesty can be connected to all situations and relationships presented in a person’s lifetime.

My dad used to say “In the end, Jack, a man’s word is a man’s bond”. I never quite understood that phrase until I was thirteen and it saved me from weeks of grounding and extreme boredom, along with broken trust from many important people in my life. It was a summer afternoon and all my buddies and I had decided to go and play a pickup game of lacrosse at a field sort of hidden in some woods. Near the end of the evening, a couple High Schoolers decided the field would be an ideal location for smoking some marijuana. We continued to play, but more and more people came to light up a joint. Pretty soon it was getting out of hand.

Finally when we finished our game, some of the local police stopped by and broke up all of the upperclassmen. When the police came over, all of my friends and I told them we had nothing to do with the incident and that the smokers were separate from our group. We escaped getting in trouble by the police, but our parents were an even greater obstacle.

When I arrived at my house, I was debating on whether or not to inform my parents of the situation. If I told them, they may not let me ever play lacrosse there again, but if I didn’t tell them, I could break their trust in me from not revealing the truth. After about a half hour of contemplating, I decided to come forward and reveal all that had happened that day. That was the best decision I made all day; not only were my parents proud of me coming forward, but they weren’t mad. I kept the sacred bond of trust between my parents and I, and at the same time proved myself to be transforming into a man.

We are presented with situations everyday where trust and honesty is the key to success. It keeps relationships intact, and allows progress in any area to continue. Breaking this sacred bond can lead to disastrous consequences and can even ruin a person’s life. My dad was correct in saying a man’s word is a man’s bond, but to add on to that, at the end of the day, the only thing a person can truly count on is his or her word.