Michael - La Grange Park, Illinois

I believe that the key to a good life is balance. Balance is something that people today forget about. Either we do everything too much or we don’t do something enough. Without a happy medium, people become stressed out and get nothing done.

In eighth grade I decided to watch how everyone ate in the lunch room for one day. As I looked around, I saw that everyone either ate a ton, or ate almost nothing. This got me thinking that today people eat and eat and eat with no means to stop. And other people do things like count the amount of carbs in everything they eat. Neither one of these can possibly be good for you. If you eat and eat and eat you’ll clog your arteries and weigh 400 lbs. But then, counting everything you eat is bad for your mind, because it’s just like paranoia. This is where I first started to form the idea that people need more balance in their lives.

Balance is something that I strongly believe in, but unfortunately, I’m not always the best at it. In my life, school work is one place where my life lacks balance. Back in eighth grade again, I had a teacher by the name of Mrs. McGovern. We never really got along that well, and it all started out because of one project that I didn’t try very hard on. It was something about a timeline, and I didn’t really care all that much, so I threw something together in five minutes and turned it in. Well, this seemed to make her mad. Later on in the year, we had another project, and this time I tried and tried and worked really hard on it, but in trying so hard, I missed a few of the important directions. In both cases I got D’s on the projects and I got to thinking, why not just work a little at a time, and calm down about it. And when I made that realization, I made the connection that balance in all parts of life, and can always be the best option.

Life is something that should not be rushed, and should not be slowed. I believe life is something that needs to be balanced.